This afternoon while Jacob was napping Michael and I did an activity to learn about giraffes. First we colored a picture of a giraffe and talked about the giraffe's mane, long purple tongue, horns, hooves, tail, and how a giraffe is the TALLEST land animal while comparing it to the size of people.
Then we drew pictures of a predator of the giraffe - the lion, a giraffe bending its long legs and neck to drink water, the giraffe's habitat - the African Savannah and a giraffe stretching to reach leaves at the top of a tree.
At first Michael was very frustrated and discouraged with his first picture angrily stating "I can't, I can't draw a lion". I think he expected his unintentional scribbles to look exactly like a lion. As our activity drew on his drawing became more and more intentional, picking specific colors, drawing very quickly and hard to illustrate the giraffe trying to quickly run away from the lion and becoming proud of his pictures.
Here is his picture of a giraffe stretching his long neck to reach the leaves at the top of a tree:

At first glance I am sure all you see is scribbles, but on further inspection:

Still don't see it? Maybe you have to look through a mother's eyes... *sigh*
No comments:
Post a Comment